Nuevo Colombino stadium
- The chapel of La Cinta
- Humilladero de la Cinta
- The Cathedral
- The church of San Pedro
- The hermitage of La Soledad
- The church of La Purísima Concepción
- The convent of Santa María de Gracia
- Church of La Milagrosa
- Convent of Hermanas de la Cruz
- The church of San Sebastian
- Monument to the Virgin of El Rocío
- The church of Sagrado Corazón de Jesús
- Brotherhood house 'El Rocio'
In the past, many Spanish provinces tried to claim the honour of being the first place in Spain where football was played. However, the dispute was settled once and for all in 1974, with the celebration of the Spanish Football Centenary – it became clear that Huelva was the pioneer in playing such a popular sport. Football came to Huelva undoubtedly because of the acquisition of the mines of Riotinto by the Rio Tinto Company Ltd., which favoured the arrival of the British round about 1873. They carried with them their great liking for sports like football, tennis, cricket, and so on and formed several teams which played in the mining basin. However, cricket was the most attractive sport for the people of Huelva at the beginning. Even so, the Huelva Recreation Club, the most ancient Spanish football club, was founded in the Casa Colón on the 23 December 1889.
Before arriving at this stadium which can admire today, the “Recre” – as the Real Club Recreativo de Huelva is popularly known – played in many other football fields, among which we should point out the ancient Estadio del Velódromo and Colombino stadia. The Nuevo Colombino stadium, built by local architect Joaquín Aramburu, was opened in November 2001 and was designed to revitalize the city quarter known as “Pescadería” and to give the team a modern, functional stadium according to the club’s expectations. By chance, the land lot where the stadium was built was the same where the British started playing football round the nineteenth century.
The stadium has 21,670 seats as well as 32 private suites and 72 other seats in press boxes.
We must point out the main stand – people can access to it from the outside through a high square overlooking the estuary. Here, you can find the gate money, the official football team shop, and a restaurant. This stand is covered by a roof projection on the inside.